HA

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

After yesterday's gathering with my seniors, I felt much better. We had two hours of discussion on the beneficial and adverse effects on meditation, after which we proceeded to ALumni's restaurant for dinner. For those who are new to meditation, meditation is an extremely powerful tool used to improve concentration and allows the mind to observe things as they are, without being judgemental. During the time of meditation, everyone is supposed to let go of what has happened and whatever anticipations we have of the future. Being relatively new to meditation,I have initially encountered some problems which are not uncommon even to experienced meditators. Over the weeks (or should I say days) of meditation, albeit irregular, I can feel myself becoming better-tempered, less irritated and calmer. The feelings cannot be described in words unless one experiences meditation oneself. (p/s it may seem that i am promoting meditation, but these are just some of my personal thoughts which i wish to share...)

A few days back, I felt extremely miserable, having to study chunks of useless notes for the upcoming test. I kept on asking myself: what's the point of working / studying so hard when all achievements/failures are ultimately impermanent? I guess these thoughts arised because of my increasing contact with the teachings of Buddha. The truth is that everything that is subjected to arising will also be subjected to cessation. But when I discussed it with my friend, she told me that the thought I had in mind was perhaps due to laziness... I have, in the hope of enjoying myself, gave myself a convenient excuse so as to make myself less guilty... She went on talking some more about the *noble eightfold path* and I felt that the nagging feeling that was weighing me down disappeared instanteously. I wish to thank her for her advice...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home