HA

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

THis entry should be written on monday night but i was too tired to do anything after coming back home at 1030pm. I visited RJC after my practical lesson... I was supposed to meet up with Jack but unfortunately, I ended classes later so I asked him to go ahead without me. Ha, he was so engrossed talking to Doctor Chan that he did not pick up my phone calls, nor read my 9 messages... I was actually quite embarrassed to go into the teachers ' common room all by myself and loitered along the corridors. After "garnering" sufficient courage, I went to talk to my CT, Mr Paul Khoo... Usual questions asked by teachers: How's life in Medicine? R U coping well? so and so forth. His workload has increased, having to teach 4 classes instead of three classes as he is now considered as an experienced teacher. On top of his GP classes, he has to juggle his church work and band cca. RJ band will be going to Ireland this coming March holidays...Queer as it may be, he would prefer to spend the week holiday in singapore with his family rather than having a free trip to Ireland... Nonetheless, I believe he is coping well... I was telling Mr Khoo how the education system here fails to develop thinking skills, though it does a good job in providing us with knowledge... The process of understanding is there but not the process of logical reasoning or derivation... Eg. When given the solutions to a new set of problems, we can understand easily but when u ask us to doit by ourself, we are unable to do so... Only after being shown the solution, we can then use the same solution on problems of similar nature. Mr Khoo responded aptly that we are not given sufficient time to derive formulas (fr a to z) or explore alternative methodologies.This ruthless education does not wait for students to learn and find stuff on their own, thus promoting a spoon-feedish culture...
Enough of this... We are innocent victims of this merciless education system but if it serves the nation well, so be it...

Went on to talk to Mrs CHeong and Mr Chan. Same questions... Particularly regretful was that I did not get to talk to Dr Chan. haha... Still can remember how much I dislike him once for a short period of time... TO think that I miss his form of teaching... Very insightful... But I heard from many teachers that they may not stay on with rj after this year as rj will be going independent... WHy, I asked them. Won't an independent school offer a higher salary... Salary put aside, it's the uncertainty of their job... Quite sad that MrYap is no longer with rjc...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home