HA

Saturday, June 19, 2004

Holland vs Czech Republic is definitely the most adrenaline-pumping and heart-stopping match of the tournament so far. Those who have watched this match live will attest to it. Also the most heartwrenching match given that Holland is my favourite Group D team! When Holland scored an early goal at the third minute, I shared the intense joy and jubilation that infused our souls with Holland fans in the Portugal stadium as well as those sitting around me. Just when I thought that my jubilation was perhaps a tad too early to determine the final score, in came Ruud Van Nistelroy’s second goal which I thought for sure would seal the Czechs’fate. Ha, how misguided I was ! With sheer tenacity and doggedness, the Czechs fought back valiantly, constantly putting pressure on the Dutch side, finally culminating to a 3-2 win. As expected, defense was never the Dutch’s forte, which was more prone to an attacking mode but lady luck was not on their side. Several shots were so near on target, only to be deflected by the goalie’s leg or the goal post. I must admit , though, that both teams were equally outstanding, playing soccer with such verve and gusto the hasn’t been seen so far in the tournament. Compared to England, I would say that both teams are a notch higher than the English. I really hope that both the Dutch and the Czechs would successfully go through the next round. Germany plays too safely and is boring to watch which is why I can’t be bothered to wake up and watch the Latvia vs Germany match. Ha, hopefully, the Dutch can beat Latvia, which has shown that it is a force not to be reckoned with.

The next death match between Portugal and Spain is a must watch… Portugal desperately needs to win this competition to qualify while Spain would just need a draw! I am keeping my fingers crossed on Spain. Hopefully Greece would lose to Russia so that both Portugal and Spain will enter the next round. but that is almost impossible…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home