I adore Anne Rice and always will... Though I haven't read Blood Canticle yet, it would suffice to say that I do not believe a single word of what those reviewers had written until i have read it myself(most likely after cas) ! I have read almost everything on the Vampire Chronicles save Blood CAnticle and Memnoch the Devil to know that her works are definitely above a certain standard...In fact, I would definitely honour her with a quality Assurance Award if I have the power to do so... To launch such a vehement diatribe against her works, to the extent of implying that someone may be helping her to write and asking her to mourne for her husband instead is unwarranted + extremely rude and I can understand why she feels the need to defend her latest book. After all, every literary work produced is a painstaking effort and should be appreciated. Her letter was stylistic, wasn't it? hmm, I enjoyed immensely the way she demolished her critics' criticism one by one, nothing short of what I expect from her... Truly Lestat-ish! But her letter may have provided more ammunition to her detractors who now accused her of being too egoistic.... Hmm, on the other hand, U can't please everyone. Just be true to yourself !
Few modern day authors can evoke the strong emotions buried deep within my heart and Anne rice defintely belongs to one of them. Her beautifully carefully crafted characters whom I as a reader can relate to very well , her descriptive prose are sufficient for me to read her books over and over again. Recurring Themes such as guilt, redemption, love, hate, etc are what that captivates readers like me and I can assure u that she hasn't lost her writing powress ...
Perhaps, readers' expectations were just sky-high, since Blood Canticle would be the last book to end the Vampire Chronicles whom many readers had grown attached and fell madly in love with... Maybe, all these negative comments were just written so that Anne Rice will continue the Vampire Legacy to silence her detractors...
But everything , no matter good or bad will one day come to an end. I support her decision to end at Blood CAnticle. It's high time for her to explore other stuff and hopefully, she can churn out better fiction books that will imprint her name as one of the greatest 21st century writer!
I have no problems about her being a prolific writer... In fact , I want her to write as much as she can bcos she 's already in her sixties!!! I simply do not agree with the notion that being prolific will compromise the quality of your work....
TO those who have yet to discover the BRILLANCE of Anne Rice, start buying and reading her books now! U won't regret it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home