HA

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Surprisngly, I'm getting hooked to Singapore idol, a show that I have previously spoken against. Yes, the contestants r not esp outstanding, of course nowhere near the American Idol standards, but still... come on... it isn't that bad as what some ppl make it out to be (maybe except for Jerry Ong). Taufik has produced the most marked improvement over the weeks, even surpassing Olinda, whom many ppl regard as the most promising rare singing talent... I hope he wins the competition. Olinda is on the brink of elimination but her absence won't be missed by me... Yes, Olinda can hit the high notes but somehow, there is always something missing in her performance that I can't really pinpoint... Even if she were to win the competition, she would be difficult to market...I feel very sorry for Leandra whose spunky attitude and bubbly personality I thought would woo many voters... Unfortunately she was eliminated before Daphne who had a strong fan base despite her lacklustre vocal talents... She tried to pull off a Mariah Carey "stunt" two weeks ago but failed miserably and I was cringing...


I feel that we, as Singaporeans (sorry for the overgeneralisation), tend to belittle our local talents, our institutes, etc ... If we do not support our local talent, who will?

NUS is ranked 18 among the world institutes, and many of my friends laughed it off, commenting that it's almost a farce... Ya, i am sure many out there may share the same sentiments... Unless we start feeling proud of our own institute, we faced the risk of being looked down by others overseas...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home