HA

Friday, August 05, 2005

Clinical posting in cgh is coming to an end. kinda going to miss cgh since it only takes me 10 minutes plus to walk from my home to cgh. I know that most ppl posted to cgh are quite unhappy because of the lack of interesting cases to clerk. True to certain extent, as evidenced by hours of walking in the hospital, trying to find patients to clerk but ending up not doing anything constructive. Some case histories are incomplete because of language barrier, or patients' unwillingness to be clerked. Sometimes u find yourself spending the whole day in the wards, but feeling unfulfilled at the end of the day. However, the tutors in cgh give fantastic tutorials and they seem more connected to students' needs. At least, i got to clear up and understand some difficult concepts better.

I was Particularly impressed by my cardiology tutor who knows every cardiac condition at the tip of his fingers. He was able to answer the question of "why is a collapsing pulse collapsing", a question posed to some nuh tutor who tried to smoke us by giving some vague answers. He likes to veer off course frequently but u get to know what is medicine all about. The consultants and registras in ward 49 are also very willing to teach us if time permits. More often, we are irritating parasites, posing a liability more than helping out. I feel quite awkward standing around not knowing what to do except to pull the curtains when the mos are checking the patients' bodies. Even a simple task like taking blood pressure is quite stressful when u have to take it in front of consultants and registras. Sometimes I couldn't hear the systolic pressure clearly and had to repeat a second time, wasting the precious time of the hos and mos. Wonder what's going thru their minds. I was quite embarrassed when the consultant was puzzled how i could give a bp of 105/65 when obviously the smallest division 2mmhg. I tried to smoke my way out by pointing out that I was reading in between the division. In fact, I am right in saying that it's possible to read to an accuracy of half of a division, at least that's what i learn during my jc days in physics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home